Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Foray into Arranging Music-1972

My school had A Capella and Madrigal Choirs. I was only in A Capella. My choir teacher while good, still had much of the "Elevator Music" generation in him. He came upon an arrangement of "Peace Train" that I felt butchered Cat Stevens song. He chose this as the number the Madrigals would perform at our graduation. I couldn't let that happen! We were Woodstock and this arrangement was Elevator! I took a copy of the music and started making copies. Cutting and pasting. No Computers, barely a Xerox and me with no knowlege of arranging. But I cut and pasted then re-Xeroxed, had the choir accompanist check and re-check. After what seemed like an eternity, I restored the work to something I felt Cat Stevens would approve of for SATB. The Madrigals used my arrangement, and the conductor allowed me to sing with them at my graduation in return for my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment